Is the chill of winter bringing you down? Shake off those winter blues with a visit to Lehigh Valley and plenty of “cool” family-friendly activities to fill your calendars during the winter season. From adventurous indoor racing to educational museums or even beautiful nature trails which look breathtaking when gilded in snow, you’ll find something you love in the Lehigh Valley. Discover Lehigh Valley®, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting and driving tourism to Lehigh and Northampton counties, shares tips to enjoy the best winter offerings.
“People are always looking for activities to keep the fun alive and escape cabin fever,” said Alicia Quinn, vice president of marketing and strategic alliances for Discover Lehigh Valley. “Memorable adventures and entertainment are closer than you think with a visit to Lehigh Valley. People of all ages and interests can choose from a wide variety of activities and are guaranteed to leave with a sunnier outlook on winter.”
Highlights of our favorite winter activities in Lehigh Valley include:
- Museum Moments: America on Wheels shows families our country’s history with transportation and features the “coolest” cars, trucks, and bicycles on display. The National Museum of Industrial History provides a guide through the area’s rise as an industrial powerhouse and includes a hands-on demo on how a hot air balloon works. The Da Vinci Science Center offers interactive exhibits that make science fun, interesting, and exciting for kids.
- Colorful Crayons: Let your imagination run wild at Crayola Experience. There are dozens of creative activities to explore art, technology, and innovation. Visitors can create and name their own Crayola crayon, play in the Adventure Lab, take in an animated show and leave with colorful souvenirs from the Crayola Store.
- Jumping for Joy: Both Sky Zone and FreeFall are indoor trampoline parks where children can “snow with the flow” and enjoy a day full of “fun fitness.” The fun doesn’t stop there, families can battle it out at Lehigh Valley Laser Tag or race to the finish line with indoor go-karts at Lehigh Valley Grand Prix.
- Lehigh Valley Zoo, located in the heart of the Trexler Nature Preserve, is home to more than 325 animal ambassadors representing over 125 species. The Zoo’s animal collection includes over 22 species collectively managed through the Species Survival Plan Program™(SSP), administered by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). As a means to share important conservation messaging with Zoo guests and contribute to field conservation, the Zoo contributes to, participates in, and initiates wildlife conservation programs at home and in the field.
- Wintery Wonderland: Take a stroll in Historic Bethlehem. With docent-lead and self-guided tours, you’ll learn all about this amazing place of history. Its historical and cultural importance is why it’s in the running for the prestigious World Heritage List! At the Ice Center there is a dynamic mix of programs that will suit the beginner skater all the way to the person seeking the advanced levels of their ice skating sport. The mission at the Ice Center is to provide an excellent skating experience by providing a clean, safe facility with well-supported activities through attention to customer service.
- Feel at Home in Your Hotel: Complete your trip with a stay at one of Lehigh Valley’s amazing hotels and bed & breakfasts. From Historic Hotel Bethlehem to Renaissance Allentown to the Glasbern Inn, visitors will discover the unmatched luxurious comfort and beauty of what Lehigh Valley has to offer.
Just 60 minutes north of Philadelphia and 90 minutes west of New York City, Lehigh Valley is home to must-see attractions and festivals, world-class sporting events, thrilling outdoor recreation, renowned colleges and universities, and historic sites including Bethlehem, a National Historic Landmark District and nominee on the U.S. Tentative List for World Heritage Designation. Many of America’s favorite brands such as Crayola®, Peeps®, Mike & Ike®, Martin Guitars, Mack Trucks and Olympus reign from Lehigh Valley. Visit DiscoverLehighValley.com and follow @LehighValleyPa.