Thankfully, finding something distinctive to do — whether you’re looking for a romantic weekend getaway, a day to remember, or a quiet dinner — should be relatively easy, thanks to numerous ideas offered at Ohio.org, the website for Ohio. Find It Here., the state’s tourism division. It’s an ideal resource for information, ideas, and inspiration. With so many amazing restaurants, hotels, and state parks not to mention vibrant cities and cultural scenes, it should be easy to make your next extended weekend getaway extra special this year.
Romantic Winter Getaways
It might be cold outside, but Ohio has dozens of warm and welcoming inns, lodges, hotels, and bed-and-breakfasts that offer romantic winter getaways. Anyone looking to escape and reconnect for the weekend any time of year, should consider the following:
- Belamere Suites Hotel in Perrysburg, which in 2022 made TripAdvisor’s list of the 25 most romantic hotels in the country, treats couples to rooms with private pools and fireplaces.
- Landoll’s Mohican Castle in Loudonville, which sits on 30 wooded acres, features 15 uniquely designed suites and two cozy cottages. The inn treats all guests like royalty with spa services, fine dining, and plenty of seclusion and tranquility.
- Welsh Hills Inn in Granville, which touts itself as “New England charm in the heart of Ohio,” sits in the rolling, wooded countryside of the Welsh Hills. It boasts three guest rooms and two suites, all featuring lovely antiques and original works of art.
- Lytle Park Hotel, a AAA Four-Diamond hotel in downtown Cincinnati, is in one of the city’s iconic buildings and offers luxurious accommodations, multiple dining options, and a rooftop bar with beautiful views of the Queen City. In 2022, Midwest Living included Lytle Park Hotel on its list of “50 Romantic Midwest Getaways.”
- Ravenwood Castle, nestled in the woods of Hocking Hills, has 21 cottages, cabins, and suites, all designed with a medieval flair. The castle also hosts murder mystery weekends and scavenger hunts throughout the year with several on tap for this winter.
- Hocking Hills is home to two additional inns well known for their romantic ambience: Glenlaurel Inn and the Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls. Glenlaurel is a Scottish country estate and inn with attentive staff, world-class cuisine, and charming rooms and cottages, many with private decks and hot tubs. The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls offers cabins, yurts, cottages, and geodomes as well as superb on-site dining and a luxurious spa.
- The Hilton Columbus Downtown recently opened its new addition — a second tower with 28 stories, 463 rooms, a full-service live-fire restaurant called FYR, a lobby bar, and a rooftop lounge with panoramic views of Columbus. The 1,000-room hotel, which features an extensive art collection, is within easy walking distance to more than 100 restaurants and the Short North Arts District, making it an ideal getaway location.
- Maumee State Park Lodge & Conference Center in northwest Ohio offers a heated indoor pool, lake views, private cabins, a two-mile boardwalk, and miles of hiking trails.
Romantic Luxury Inspiration
If you’re looking forward to doing something a little out of the ordinary, consider one or more of the following activities:
- Rent a “sauna pod” for an hour or more in Hocking Hills. The barrel-shaped, cedar saunas feature a floor-to-ceiling fish-eye window providing uninterrupted views of the scenery and provide a perfect way to rest after a long winter hike.
- Pamper yourself and your special someone with a trip to the spa. If you want something beyond the basic mani-pedi, consider one of Ohio’s really unique spas. Salt caves, float tanks, body wraps, and Vichy showers are just a few of the distinctive spa experiences waiting to help visitors rest, relax, and rejuvenate on Valentine’s Day or any day!
- Visit a frozen waterfall located in many of Ohio’s state and local parks. When frozen, the waterfalls provide an awe-inspiring look at Mother Nature’s artistry.
- Spend some time in Ohio’s wine country. The region, just south of Lake Erie in northeast Ohio, features more than 30 wineries, with many of them offering wine tasting and tours. Nearby accommodations and attractions make it easy to extend the visit into a multiday getaway.
Here are five of the state’s most romantic restaurants:
- The Guild House in Columbus, included in TripAdvisor’s list of the city’s 10 most romantic restaurants, is an artisan eatery featuring seasonal offerings, many of which are locally sourced.
- Nicola’s, a contemporary Italian restaurant in Cincinnati’s Over-the-Rhine district, offers fantastic food, service, and ambience.
- L’Albatros Brasserie in Cleveland, one of the city’s top restaurants, features beautifully prepared French brasserie faire in a quaint and romantic setting.
- The Springfield Grille in Youngstown gets rave customer reviews about their entrees, cocktails, and daily desserts created by in-house pastry chefs.
- Georgio’s Café International in Toledo has been recognized by notable food critics, including Zagat Survey, which described the experience as “a delight in every way.”